In today’s hyperconnected world, the cloud has become an invaluable tool for a majority of businesses. It enables you to store information, collaborate on documents, share your data with others, and much more. Despite the many business-related benefits the cloud offers, no one can blame you for wondering about its security. Just how safe is the cloud, and is cloud network security strong enough to protect your sensitive information?
The Cloud and Cloud Network Security
Before we jump into the cloud security concerns you may have, let’s first talk about what the cloud actually is. Although it often comes off as some nebulous term that seems difficult to grasp, it’s not all that complicated. The cloud refers to a network of servers spread across the world. These servers perform the heavy work of storing and computing data while giving you access to these resources over the internet.
Being able to access files and applications from anywhere and on your favorite devices provides a high level of convenience. But what really makes the cloud special for business is the fact that smaller organizations can avoid building out computing infrastructure. Instead, they can lean on infrastructure that their vendors have already built.
This naturally leads to a question that many would-be adopters tend to have about the cloud: Is cloud storage safe?
How Strong Is Cloud Network Security?
As a business that holds sensitive data, it’s necessary to be cautious about the tools your company uses. When you implement the cloud, you are putting your trust in the hands of a third-party provider, which can be a lot to ask. That’s why some businesses hesitate before relying on cloud services.
The truth is, however, that just because your information is stored in your hard drive, thumb drive, or onsite server, that doesn’t guarantee data safety. Hackers can always find a vulnerability to exploit and gain access to your network. The process of data theft is even easier if you have yet to implement appropriate cybersecurity measures.
Cloud vendors fully understand how important the safety of your data is. That’s why they use a variety of advanced cloud security tools that go beyond the cybersecurity found at most businesses. It’s often safer to use the cloud than it is to use an on-premises solution. If a cloud environment was unsecure, that platform would be essentially useless to most people and companies.
What Are the Common Security Tools Used With the Cloud?
What tools a cloud service uses depends on the provider. However, there are some common security measures most services share, including:
- File Encryption: Any files you store on cloud servers are encrypted. This means the data appears scrambled to anyone who tries to access it without the right key.
- Firewalls: Cloud data is stored behind a protective firewall that filters out any suspicious network activity.
- Data Backup: If a cloud server were to fail, your data would be restored by backup data saved in other locations.
- Security Updates: Updates are necessary because they deliver patches to known flaws in a system. The vendor regularly updates their servers to maximize data protection.
How To Secure Sensitive Data in Cloud Environments
If you’re curious about how you can boost your existing cloud network security, here are a few things you can do:
- Back up your own data to ensure you always have a copy available in case anything goes wrong.
- Enable multi-factor authentication that requires two or more forms of identification before allowing access.
- Keep your systems updated. Whenever a new patch is available, make sure to download and install it as soon as possible.
- Be careful when choosing your cloud provider. Make sure they are taking the necessary security measures to keep your organization compliant with cybersecurity regulations.
Get the Best in Cybersecurity
If you’re concerned about cybersecurity, then you’ve come to the right people. BL King is not your average IT company—we are a managed security services provider that specializes in cybersecurity. With our enterprise-level cybersecurity services, we can help you stay protected from the various cyberthreats lurking on the web.
Contact us today to learn more.